Depending on what area of the country you are traveling to, you might find a wider range of housing options besides apartments and long-term stay units. Look for all-season cabin rentals, RV parks or call around to local realtors. Many realty companies offer rentals, sometimes unadvertised, and are an excellent traveler resource since realtors are generally familiar with all areas of their town.
We have had several travelers choose to rent rooms from local residents, or live with a roommate, and it has worked out very well. Find out if you have any relatives or friends who might live in or near the area. The more options you consider, the likelier you are to find an option that provides both suitable accommodations and opportunity to save money.
Other resources to consider:
- Look for housing options near the facility and out to surrounding communities
- Always ask for pictures of the rental property
- In addition to searching listings, you can also post your own ad under “housing wanted”
- Chamber of Commerce and city websites
- Local papers (can be found online)
Questions about housing? Contact our housing coordinator.